Thursday 26 June 2014

RSNO Takeover 2014, Day 1: Marketing

RSNO Takeover is an intensive two-day work experience project which took place at the RSNO Centre on Monday 16 and Tuesday 17 June 2014. Alice Bowman, Ally Scott, Charly Stakim and Farisai Mukonoweshuro, who have been working with the RSNO's External Relations (Marketing and Development) department describe their experiences on the first day of the programme.


Alice Bowman – Blairgowrie, Perth and Kinross
The highlight of today would have to be when we first came in and started to meet new people. We had played a number of games to get everyone involved.

We moved into our groups and we all shared why we were here and what we wanted to get out of this experience which was really good because loads of us had the same perspective on it. We got to work in teams and brainstorm about the marketing side of putting a concert on. We got to find out what age group we would be aiming for and how it would affect a business.

After lunch the marketing, development and planning department joined up and had an ops [operations] meeting about how we were getting on and about the plans that we had come up with. 

After the meeting we all departed and did different activities. I joined up with the development department to decide how we were going to promote the concert and the designs of the invitations, poster and programme. I really enjoyed that part because it was a bit of creativeness and how it would be in a business and it showed how much time and effort a business actually puts into make sure that their promoting the product accordingly and that it will draw people’s attention to the event going on. We also had to think about what colours we wanted it include.

Ally Scott – Thornliebank, Glasgow
Today was the first day of the RSNO Takeover where I am part of the marketing department. It has been an interesting day; I have learned a lot about events management and advertising. I've met so many new people who have similar interests as myself, as well as people who come from completely different backgrounds. Personally, I found this made the experience more enjoyable because I was able to speak to a variety of people about possible jobs and the skills I will need for certain careers in the future. I think I could peruse a job in advertising, specifically social media because this is the area I feel I was strongest in today. Altogether, I have thoroughly enjoyed this experience and I am looking forward to tomorrow.

Charly Stakim – Coylton, Ayrshire
Today has been FANTASTIC! Starting in the morning with team-building games just so we could all get to know each other (my favourite was "Elephant and Mouse") then getting split into our teams! 

My team was marketing where I met everybody and we discussed what Marketing was really all about. I learned a lot and we discussed everything from putting a message across to the John Lewis Christmas Advert. We then heard stories of how people got into their job and what advice they could give us. Then we got the programme through and spoke about target audiences and even considered celebrity presenters. After lunch we got to talk about the press and we learned how to write a press release. I got a chance to interview one of the RSNO musicians and the Director of Learning and Engagement about the RSNO Takeover. 

We also learned about Social Networking and how to get more people to attend the event (even though it's only open to family and friends).

Farisai Mukonoweshuro – Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire
This experience has been a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's given me a real feel of what working in PR is really like. I've had the chance to face problems and challenges with a team, brainstorm new ideas right on the spot and use team working skills. I've also had the opportunity to us my own initiative. Some tasks involved creating and writing a press release, interviewing students as well as the some of the department Directors of the RSNO.

Alice, Ally, Charly and Farisai are part of the RSNO's Takeover scheme, arranged by the Learning and Engagement Department. All views expressed by Takeover participants belong to those of the individual and are not representative of the organisation. For more information, visit the RSNO website.

No comments:

Post a Comment